[FWDLK] Fw: Paint stripping plastic question...Pt 2

[FWDLK] Fw: Paint stripping plastic question...Pt 2

 He was in the vac metalising biz, and the only reason he considered even looking at the job was that he was a 'Classic Car' fiend. His choice was British, but we blurbed on re the merits of Brit v Yank,we got on fine.  He'd done a run of medallions for some British sports car club here  previously. I recall it as being 100 medallions. They were painted, then vacuum metalised in gold, then finally sealed . This is a huge task to undertake. Each one was very expensive, but, I guess, if it's the 1 thing you need to top off your toy, you have to have it. Fish-hooks are all along the way.  The best way to reproduce medallions is to have a toolmaker make the dies, and injection mould them. Then paint, vac metalise, polish and seal 'em. The cost of the dies is 'a lot'. I have had them priced here in New Zealand, and they were around the $4000-$6000 mark.  You have to get logistical, and do the sums, and the hard yards. How many want one, how many will pay for a good repro, DO you want the hassle involved?????????????  AND, very important, you must start with the best 'original' you can get to mould the master from. These are not Chevys or Cads. Repro stuff is rare. The volume that'll sell just isn't commercially viable. Some companies already repro SOME plastic medallions. One is "Emblemagic". I have heard stories both good and not so good, regarding some items bought from them. You don't say just what plastic medallions you need to refurbish, ie, which year/car/model.  You can take a look at what "Emblemagic" have on offer at www.emblemagic.com      Have no connection at all with them, but your emblem may be there. You may want to check it out.  I read their page on restoring plastic emblems.   It all makes sense to me, been there and done that. Worth a look at, if you are even thinking about this subject. Marty, if you wish to glean a bit more info re moulding, etc, just mail me off list.   My address:     Dave   .....       fnnutz@xxxxxxxxxx      I saw yesterday, a NOS plastic medallion on e-Bay, for a mid '60's Mopar, start price $429, or close to it, with 1 bid. All you need. That is a LOT of cash for a 2-3" diameter plastic medallion, is it not?  There are better and cheaper ways to do it.

           Looking backward to The Forward Look,

                            Dave in New Zealand.