Re: [FWDLK] L-FORWARDLOOK Digest - 24 Feb 2002 to 25 Feb 2002

Re: [FWDLK] L-FORWARDLOOK Digest - 24 Feb 2002 to 25 Feb 2002 (#2002-57)

In a message dated 2/26/02 12:02:30 AM, LISTSERV@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>Is the latest Bruce McCall book only drawings or does it have some texts
>?

I looked through the Bruce McCall book ("The Last Dream-O-Rama") back
sometime around Christmas.  There is text in it.  Each "automobile" is given
two pages, I seem to remember, the right page an illustration of the car and
the left page a paragraph or two with the car's name and a description of it
-- description along the lines of "Sawtooth Gearing on the Belgian Design!"
(Mike, you're right, I read that and burst out laughing even though it made
no sense to me at all -- I suspect he just chose phrases that sounded good
and were memorable) and "Tap-a-Toe Futuroidic Brakes."  Honestly, I think the
Bulgemobile brochures were better, Vincent you'd enjoy those more.

Off-topic but concerning McCall (and I like his description of what he did
for Chrysler, "DeSotos like the Second Coming," and all) -- I don't know the
bulk of his work, but what I've seen always seems to have been of "a future
that never was," coming up with stories and illustrations presenting it as if
it had somehow, somewhere but just got by the rest of us.  He did another I
remember about the "bi-plane races in Central Park" that took place sometime
I think in the late 1920s or early 1930s, pylons were set up on the Great
Lawn(s) in Central Park (very near the Plaza and the Savoy Hotels, to bring
Plymouth model names back up again) and pilots in bi-planes staged
competitions, the winners "landing to the applause of polite gloved hands
from the balconies of skyscrapers surrounding the Park."  Again, hilarious
(though not the way I'm telling it), and just real enough to make you think
it perhaps might have been or could have been true.

Calendars are still available.  Don't miss the chance to get yours now!
Details for ordering may be found at:
http://www.forwardlook.net/calendar2002/index.html