Re: [FWDLK] white wall tires

I would strongl;y recommend going with the wide whites instead of a modern tire - the difference in appearance is really remarkable.   Although they tend to be more expensive, I would also recommend the correct bias-ply (non-radial) tires.  They have a different, taller profile.  Modern radials will look a little wrong, even with the wide whitewalls that are available.

Bob, et al,
Long ago we had the wide white radial vs. bias ply tire discussion on this list, and I have to let the newer members of the list know that many disagree with your statements.  I have Coker wide white radials on my '57 Fury, and many people have told me they had no idea I even had radials until I told them and then they took a closer look at my treads. You do get a slightly lowered profile with the radials, but in my opinion even that is a good thing.

When I ran with bias plys, the car would weave all over the road.  Why do you think they phased out bias plys in favor of radials in the first place?  Performance!  Mr. Finzzz was restored as closely as I possibly could to factory original (ask anyone who's seen the car), with the exeption of hardened valve seats, and radial wide whites.  Both of these were done in the name of performance and safety.  I even scored 98 out of 100 at the Forest Grove Concours a  year ago with the radials on.

Now that I've driven with radial wide whites, there is no way I'd ever go back to bias plys.

Mark   mjh
'57 Fury in OR
.