Re: [FWDLK] Early Hemi Stuff

Yeah, in order to compete with the chevy SB1 heads and the ford cleveland
style heads (both with canted valves a la the big block chevy and mopar
poly) they had to design their own canted valve heads as well. They were
used by the cup cars too.

The photo with the gear drive cam you mention. There was no idler gear?
Because an idler gear would allow the use of a cam with the same direction
of rotation.

                    DupontTim@xxxxxxx
                    Sent by: Forward           To:     L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                    Look Mopar                 cc:
                    Discussion List            Subject:     [FWDLK] Early Hemi Stuff
                    <L-FORWARDLOOK@list
                    s.psu.edu>

                    11/09/01 12:12 AM
                    Please respond to
                    DupontTim

Good Day, I thought it may interest some members who like the early Hemi
and
Poly motors that this years very successful NASCAR Dodge Truck engines were
new version of the what one engineer called the "55 Chrysler polyspherical
engine." Also a note on the 53 Dodge Hemi engine that set several AAA
records. I have found photos of engineers working on the engine and in the
photo you can clearly see that the cam is driven by gears instead of a
chain,
this would also create the need for a reversed cam. There is also a photo
of
heads made specially for Bonneville that have no provision for exhaust heat
to the intake manifold and have extra large valves and ports.  It shows
that
some very special parts were made for the 241 by Dodge engineers so keep
your
eyes peeled for any of these goodies poppin up in an early Dodge Hemi.
Thanks
Tim