Re: [FWDLK] 1961, etc. Electrical Problems

--- Playaz Klubb <playazklubb@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Last night on my way back from Logan airport my left
> blinker stopped blinking, my right one blinks fine.
> The left goes on, I just have to blink it with my
> hand. Do I have to pull the column apart or do the
> blinker relays fail one at a time?

Electrical is my weakest link, as will become clear in
what I add to this post, but the problem you describe
is most often a burned out bulb at one end or the
other. (Note that these bulbs have double filaments
and therefore one that works as a taillight may not
work as a blinker.) Hopefully this is all it is.

I wish I could help on the rest of the post, but I
need help in similar areas on my two old MoPars:

The Plymouth has developed a thing where the left
blinker flashes inside the car and at the taillight
but not at the parking light. When I turn the parking
lights on the left turn parking light lights up, as
does the turn signal indicator on the dash, but the
right turn parking light doesn't light...

Also, someone tried to steal the Plymouth a couple
months back... ...more accurately, the Plymouth had
been successfully hotwired and stolen when found a
couple blocks away. (As if a solid black station wagon
version of Christine could successfully blend in
anywhere...) The heater blower and temperature gauge
haven't worked since the hotwire and I assume their
wiring was damaged. I have the early ('57 only) FSM
and I assume I can rewire everything myself from this,
but am worried about whether the temp gauge might've
been killed by these morons.

The temp gauge is but one discrepancy with the 300-K,
which is admittedly new for this list but probably not
that different electrically. The gas gauge never works
on the K and I assume that's the float. The temp gauge
starts working again for the first little while after
starting it up if it's been sitting for a while, but
quits after the car is shut off and won't start
working again unless the car is given a few days off.
I had suspected the 5V power supply in the instrument
cluster but it seems to me that'd be out all the time?

The blinkers are working most of the time on the K
since I replaced the flasher, although last night they
chose to quit on me just as I was making a left turn
in front of a police car. (I think the young cop was
happy to have an excuse to ask me about the car; in
any event, I didn't get a ticket.)  The indicators on
the dash are what make me crazy. The left one is lit
all the time, getting brighter when the panel lights
are lit; the right one goes on when I hit the high
beams, and the high beam indicator flashes (and the
speedometer lighting goes out) with the right blinker
is going. It's acting to an extent like I have bulbs
in the wrong sockets, but I know the '63-'64 Valiant &
Dart had printed circuit instrument clusters and would
have assumed the '63-'64 Chryslers did as well...
(FWIW, I don't yet have a FSM for the K but hope to
get one soon.)

Thanks in advance!

=====
Mike Sealey, San Francisco CA