[FWDLK] Paint Question

Garrett,

My personal opinion about cheap paint jobs on a car I might buy is that:
1. I can't see what the "real" condition of the body is. All of the little
flaws that may come back are covered up. How much bondo is hidden? What
surprises will I find when I do it over?
2. The cheap paint is only one more layer I have to remove to do it "right".
3. The seller has put some work and money into the vehicle, raising the
price to recoup his costs and maybe a little more, doing something I have to
undo anyway. Not value added for me, money wasted. A high quality paint job
can sometimes add more than its cost to the value of the vehicle.
4. Most cheap paint jobs use cheap paint. Even the "better quality". Prone
to rapid fading and oxidation, especially if left out in the sun. May last
longer if parked indoors.
5. Cheap paint jobs are more common in the south where the sun is intense
and fries the paint. It makes less sense to get a $3000 job on your daily
driver that will last 5 years in the sun, instead of a $300 job that will
last 2 years. Rust is not usually as serious an issue there in the south. I
had a repainted car from Arizona once. The paint was dead flat and a little
washed off every time I washed it.
6. Most cheap paint jobs do not have adequate surface preparation. Small
rust spots may not be adequately removed and look good for a while, but come
back as blisters later.
7. They may remove the stainless trim and some chrome, but usually they will
not remove the door handles and weather striping and hard to get at stuff.
They will mask it off, leaving mask lines and small lines of paint on these
parts.
8. Some buyers will not care or know better. They will only care about
today's appearance, not what it will look like in 5 years, when it will need
painting all over again. Sell it fast after the paint dries, before the
flaws come back and it fades.
9. I would rather buy it unpainted, and decide for myself how expensive a
paint job I want done. As the buyer and new owner who has to live with the
paint decision, I would rather make that decision myself.
10. It's your car, so you have to make the decision.

Just my opinion,

Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500