[FWDLK] Rear 1/4 - Trunk - Rubber Separator

[FWDLK] Rear 1/4 - Trunk - Rubber Separator

On my 1956 Dodge, in the joint between the rear 1/4 panel and the trunk
floor there is a rubber "bead" in between the panels.  At first I thought is
was thick undercoating and tried to scrape it out but it is a rubber
material and in there pretty good.  I am inclined to leave it alone but
there is visible rust on the 1/4 that must be taken car of.
Any thoughts on how to deal with this?
Thanks,
Scott