Re: [FWDLK] Driveshaft boots/Rear quarters

Re: [FWDLK] Driveshaft boots/Rear quarters

Great idea Spencer!  There are tons of different sizes/shapes of these
things.  Suggest one take his driveshaft to an "axle rebuilder" - lots of
these places around.  I would venture to say that the guy I use for CV
axles/joints/boots could just *look* at it and tell you what boot would fit.
There are some differences in how they are made compared to what was
originally on the early Chryslers, (seems I remember something on the inside
of the original type boots - like another "lip"?), but I would think that a
suitable replacement could be found.  One thing to bear in mind is the
actual shaft RPM involved here - FWD axles turn very slowly at highway
speeds compared to a RWD "propellor shaft" - (Mopar speak for "driveshaft" -
and the "driveshafts" are what we call the "axles"!) - thus "ballooning" of
the CV boot may be a factor.  "Ballooning" will cause the boot to destroy
itself.  Just multiply your axle ratio times "tire RPM" to get an idea of
what the boot must withstand.   I do however, believe that there would be
some FWD boots made of appropriate material, where that would not be a
problem.  Commonly used "Super Boots" (brand name - forgot who's) are made
of a rather "hard" material, as are some others, and I doubt they would
balloon at all - but are not flexible enough to be used unless the fit is
"perfect".  The softer types (probably what most "axle shops" use), are
quite flexible, and one particular part number will fit many applications
due to their "conformability".  Still worth investigation IMHO.
Regards,
DaveG.