[FWDLK] Horespower vs torque

I just got a neat Desktop Dyno program that allows to assemble an engine on
your computer using any block, bore, stroke, cam, intake, exhaust etc. then
run a dyno test and even simulate dragstrip runs.
I have been playing with a lot of different cam specs and am looking for
someone to help me understand the results.
I know these programs have their own set of problems but It gives me
something to do and the results do reflect reality even if the numbers may
not be 100% accurate
The engine is a 4" stroke 360 bored .030 over resulting in 408 CID.
I have been running both small block and big block cam profiles using flow
rated for mildly ported Edelbrock Aluminum Heads.
My favorite combination gives me  massive torque values, a nearly flat
horizontal line of 484 lb ft from 2000 RPM to a max of 495 at 3500 rpm. It
begins to taper down between 4000 and 5500 RPM (from 483 to 348 lb ft) and
down from there.
The HP curve rises nicely from  185 hp at 2000 to a peak of 385 at 5500 RPM
and then begins to taper down.
MY QUESTION IS, can someone help me understand,  or point me to a web site,
how the relationship between the torque and HP values works.  I know that
more peak torque is better than peak HP especially in a heavier car, but I
would think that an optimum curve would have the HP and torque peak at about
the same rpm.  In my models the hp always peaks later than the peak torque.
What is the relationship between the 2 in terms of performance? Will the
engine run out of steam at torque peak of 3500 RPM OR contunue to pull to
5500 RPM the HP peak.

Thanks,
Scott