Re: [FWDLK] 1955 "De Soto Diplomat"?

DeSoto has been catering to the export market since it was introduced in
1928 as a 1929 model. The early models seem to have been popular in South
America, where a number of '29 DeSotos survive and are lovingly preserved
by their owners.

Later, Chrysler Corporation began affixing senior-model design details to
Plymouth bodies and chassis for the export market. Sometime during the '30s
or '40s, it's not clear when, these DeSoto/Plymouth hybrids were named
DeSoto Diplomat.

By 1955, the DeSoto Diplomat was a prolific model line which somewhat
mirrored Plymouth's domestic model line-up, but featured a few cars unique
to their foriegn markets. Every hear of a DeSoto with a diesel engine? How
about a DeSoto truck?

Depending on the region, senior DeSotos, cars like those sold in North
America, were sold along side the smaller DeSoto Diplomats. Understandably,
these large cars are far less common than the Diplomats.

Why did I say "has been" when referring to DeSoto's export market? Well,
after DeSoto was discontinued in North America, the DeSoto brand continued
to varrying degrees "out there." In fact, it is _still possible_ to buy a
new DeSoto in Turkey. Follow the link:

http://www.chryslerkamyon.com.tr/

For additional information, see the "Plymouth and DeSoto Buyer's Guide" by
Jim Benjaminson.

For a place just for DeSoto, come to DeSotoland,
http://w3.one.net/~desoto/desotoland

Dave Duricy