Re: [FWDLK] 1957 Business coupe

--- Jan-Peter Nowak <Jan-Peter.Nowak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> were the '57 Plymouth business coupes really
> without a back seat? What kind of interior
> (in the back seat - trunk area) did they have?

I haven't seen one in at least 30 years, but I seem to
remember material similar to station wagon headliner
panels covering the area where the seat back would
have been. There may also have been a shelf above the
floor which would've provided a flat floor above the
driveshaft hump (that part may not have been factory,
I don't know).

Some catalog art from that era shows solid panes of
glass without a smaller triangle window toward the
end. If that is accurate, these cars may have been
built with stationary glass/no window regulator...

> ps. I have been wondering this for a long time. Can
> anyone tell why there are some many '57 Plymouth
> tail light lenses available comparing to other
> 50's Chrysler products? You can see them for sale at
> e-bay nearly every day, but when did you last time
> see lights for say '60 DeSoto or Dodge?
> Did someone produce them too much by an error, or
> whats the story?

First off, there were more '57 Plymouths and
Kingsway/Diplomat spinoffs built than any other
Forward Look model. Second, these lenses were more
vulnerable to damage than a few others (for example,
the second most common Forward Look model, the '60
Dodge Dart in its various permutations, has a slightly
higher taillight lens protected somewhat by a large
chrome housing).

There were a number of aftermarket manufacturers
("Glo-Brite" being one example that comes to mind) who
made lower-priced copies of replacement lenses for the
more popular makes including Chevy/Ford/Plymouth. Some
of these copies are close enough at a casual glance to
pass for the original, and one or more of these lens
makers may indeed have made too many for the '57
Plymouth, which had quality control problems and a
tendency to rust prematurely, both of which
contributed to the early demise of many '57s.

I can see where an aftermarket company who tooled for
'57 replacement parts with the expectation that '57
Plymouths in general would be as durable and
long-lasting as '56 and earlier models might easily
have found themselves holding the bag.

=====
Mike Sealey, San Francisco CA
'57 Plymouth Sport Suburban