[FWDLK] Starter

No, a reduction gear starter will not fit anything with a cast iron TF.  The
reduction gear starter came out at the same time as Aluminum TF.  Earlier
starters were direct drive, which gives them the cool sound.  I had mine
rebuilt - not cheap.  Any decent  auto electric place should be able to
rebuild the direct drive.  Mine was done before I got an estimate.  Cost
$230.  Ouch.  The reused the case and everything else was new.

Before I get in trouble, some trucks used a direct drive starter into the
late sixties, but I believe that was with stick trannies only.  Some early
slant sixes used a direct drive starter, but again, not sure if it was with
TF or not.
Cheers.
Mark