[FWDLK] Neutral safety switch

Help I'm confused. I replaced my neutral safety switch  with a NOS one. It
still started in any gear position.
I removed it again and found that the "button" was stuck in the in position.
I don't know if I did this by tightening
the switch too tight and the lever pushed the end of the switch too hard or
if the old new switch was just bad.
Is there anything else that could be causing this problem, like the cable
adjustment or something? Or just bad parts?
Deane
60 Dodge