Re: [FWDLK] Sticking Brakes

Phil Patterson writes: I am curious, did you replace the return springs or use
high temp brake grease between the shoes and the backing plate? Do not get this
grease on the linings if you use any, and only use as little as you need to do
the job.. An easy check for the brakes springs is to drop them on some flat
concrete. If they are good, they will land with a dull thud sound. If they have
went bad, when you drop them on the concrete, they will ring like a screen door
spring. Whenever I do a drum brake job, I always drop every spring and give them
a listen. The only other thing that could go wrong is a sticking piston in the
wheel cylinder, did you change them during the last brake job? If anything of
these things are wrong, you can change them and still reuse your old shoes with
no problem , as long as the brake shoes haven't been worn too thin. Let us know
what you find. Check the return springs first, I bet you probably have one or
more bad ones, they are almost 40 years old at this point in time.