Re: [FWDLK] Fw: Frozen engine

In a message dated 8/26/99 8:04:48 AM Pacific Daylight Time, SC68Cuda@xxxxxxx
writes:

> Nick,
>      I have a pair of 413's in the same condition... my neighbor told me
he's
>  used a product called "Kroil" successfully with some old Buicks and
tractors,

>  but I have not had the time to locate any yet.
>      I also had a fellow tell me about a method they used on old tractors...
>  they would make a special fitting from an old spark plug and a grease
zerk...

>  find a cylinder with the piston stuck mid-stroke, install the special
>  fitting, and pump it full of grease... the pressure built across the top of
>  the piston would break the engine loose.  I'm not real crazy about trying
>  that on my 413's, though....
>      Let me know if you hear of anything good!
>
>  Steve Charette
>  I've been using the same method since the 50's, and only had one engine
that wouldn't break loose after soaking.  Pull the plugs, and fill each
cylinder with automatic transmission fluid or Marvel Mystery Oil.  Leave it
sit up to a  week and it should break loose.  The one that didn't was a 50's
bathtub Nash a buddy and I bought.  We soaked it, and soaked it, and soaked
it.  It didn't want to break, so we got mad and towed it about 50 miles per
hour, popped the clutch and nothing.  Ah, but then we made a U turn and came
back @60 MPH, popped the clutch and va-voom she broke loose.  Now I don't
recommend you do this on today's roads but back then it wasn't a problem.
Again, automatic transmission fluid or Marvel Mystery Oil and leave it soak
at least 3 days, even pour in a little more here and there.
                                Bill Borton