[FWDLK] ...speaking of blood suckers

     Hey all,
     One of my more memorable jobs was a lot shag at the used car section
     of a local car lot.  Let me say this:  everything bad you have heard
     about used car salesmen is true, according to my experience.  (There
     are a few exceptions, but they didn't seem to produce well and didn't
     stick around long)  Most important, never go alone if you are not a
     pro (like Dave - so it sounds).  It can be too much for one person.
     Get someone who will take the role of the bad cop to your good cop.
     It is a good tactic, and though it will not put you on an even playing
     field as the lot snakes, you may stand a better chance.  Second, if
     you are not a pro but have to go alone, you will do the best if your
     day job title is "supermodel."  As far as classic cars, my experience
     varied.  Half of the guys thought they all were priceless, and the
     other half thought they were junk.  One of my favorite memories was
     when an old farmer came in and decided to buy a one year old Caddie.
     It was a beautiful car without a single fault (other than the fact
     that it wasn't a mopar).  The farmer knew it, and said so.  (I don't
     know if he was indeed a farmer, but I assumed so from the ball-cap and
     overalls)  He looked at the sticker price, made an offer and said he
     had brought cash (I couldn't believe it until he pulled a fat green
     wad from his overalls).  His offer was 150 dollars over the insider
     price (the amount that would cover the car, the lot fee, and a good
     commission for the salesman - many cars were sold under it, but
     anything over went to the salesman) that we lot workers were privy to
     at the main office.  He said that he thought it was a fair offer, and
     warned that he wasn't into haggling.  The salesmen smugly made his
     first offer at 50$ off the sticker price, thinking he had a big fish
     in his net speaking of the great deal this car was, blah blah.  The
     old fellow said, "I warned you, I'm not in to hagglin'.  I find your
     fifty off insulting, now have a good day." and with that he left.  I
     thought that this particular salesman was particularly repulsive, and
     smiled as he chased after the old guy, panic stricken, and lowering
     the price less and less - his voice raising in pitch.  The sale was
     never made, and the old man took his business elsewhere.  I loved it.