Re: [FWDLK] converting to later LA engine

Re: [FWDLK] converting to later LA engine

Todd,
  This one I know very well as I did it with a LA318 and to answer you
questions--no
the motor mounts will fit, you have to put them in on opposite sides of the
boss on the
engine but they do fit, the original torqueflite will not fit at all the Y
block has
an extra 2 to 3 in. of length on the crankshaft and also uses studs off the
torque converter
in place of a flexplate. Simpilist solution is to get (or aleast my
solution) a later push
button auto and use it.
   I found that the cableing on the latter can be adjusted to fit the 58
buttons and you will
either have to run an extra cable for the "Park" or have a lockout made or
remove the pawl from
the tranny.
   Also there will no longer be a parking brake as the latter Plym used the
rear drums for the
parking brakes.
    I am not sure what years the latter push button was made but I know it
ended for all practical
purposes in 64 (there where a few 65 Fury's with it but few and far
between), I think it started
in 60 or 61 but could not swear to that. I just finished my swap over and
would be glad to give
you any other info that I picked up along the way.

Jim