Re: [FORWARDLOOK] Engine Numbers

> 1) What can you tell about an engine from the serial numbers on the block?
> have an engine with the numbers L350  25543 stamped on the boss below the
> distributor, front right side. I am told its a 350 cid from a 1958 Desoto.
Can
> this be confirmed from the numbers?

The "L" means it's a 1958 (H=1955, J=1956, K=1957, etc.)  The 350 is
displacement in cubic inches and 25543 is the engine block serial number.  I
believe all 350 engines were built at the Trenton plant.

> 2) I have heard that you can find out a lot about a car by writing
Chrysler,
> with the serial numbers from the car. How does that work. What numbers?
Where
> do you send them?

To have the build record for your Mopar retrieved and decoded, send a check
for $35.00 payable to Chrysler Corporation along with the year, model and
serial number (VIN) of your vehicle to:

Chrysler Historical Collection
CIMS-410-11-21
12501 Chrysler Freeway
Detroit, MI  48288-0001
USA

Don't know exactly what you get for your $35 because the record for my 55
Belvedere convertible came up "unreadable".  Presumably would include plant,
date of build, engine size, transmission, rear end ratio, list of optional
equipment, paint colour, possibly the name of the dealer who ordered the
car...

Robert
bishop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx