[FWDLK] "Foolproof Buttons"

Here's one --

I was just reading through the December 1956 issue of Motor Life, and in the
Correspondence (Letters to the Editor) column, the following appears:

"FOOLPROOF BUTTONS

In your October issue you report that some makes of cars may try transmission
buttons in the center of the steering wheel.

Chrysler Corporation has 23 (prototype) cars equipped and recorded the
reaction to them.  It was found that children in the front seat found the
buttons too handy.  Therefore, Chrysler moved the buttons to the lefthand
corner of the dash.

Don Dale, Wood River, Illinois"

Does anyone know anything  or has anyone ever heard anything about this?  The
center buttons of course showed up on the Edsel.  But, prototype Mopars?

Regards,
Chris