[FWDLK] The D500-1

Hello FL Fans, I would like  to post a description of my car I think some of
you may like. Its a 56 D500-1. The Dash One is a comprehensive performance
package upgrade of the already potent 56 D-500, which  made it a premier
factory muscle car which  had no equal in 1/4 mile drags and was second only
to the Chrysler in 1956 Grand National Stock car racing winning percentage (
The Hot One?). As great a car as this was it seems it has all but vanished
into obscurity. I'll start with the motor. The 56 Dash One was a muscle car
extraordinare that boasted the raised block version of the Red Ram Hemi with
a now very unorthidox over square 3.80 stroke by 3.63 bore stretching it  to
315 cubes. Then to promote free breathing got an aluminum (yes aluminum) dual
quad intake manifold which was cast for Dodge by the Mercury Outboard people
to fulfill the wishes of Carl Kiekhaeffer. To complement this a low
restriction cast iron exhaust manifold set was cast with extra large passages
and  four bolt  2.5"  diameter collector flanges. These manifold are said by
some to have been borrowed from Dodge Truck Division something that was done
for the Chrysler Letter cars with the Firepower Hemi, however they are so
tightly fit with relief for the cars frame and suspension that (in my mind)
they had to be cast specifically for the use in the D500-1 and since I have
seached high and low and not seen another pair and have researched several
Dodge Truck manuals and parts list (54-59) none of which have a four bolt
flange and none list larger than a 2.25"  collector (when it regards the
Dodge Hemi) that indeed this manifold was exclusive to the Dash One.  Phew!
Were was I, OK next you need some Valve Lift and it will be of the solid
type, this is somewhat still a mystery, however it is known that more than
one grind could be had and probably even three,  the "stock" D500 grind, A
longer duration and slightly higher lift top end grind (my grind), and a
Nascar grind perhaps the most radical of the three but at this point its just
a part # without specs . So of course when you look at a D500 you look for
the special relief in the valve covers and matching spark plug covers, these
are present on the Dash One along with the other HP innerds of the standard
D500 engine  ie. the heads, valves, pistons, hardend crank etc and  a very
strong "high nickel content" cast iron D500 block, this rounds out the fine
set of  HD parts.  Throw in a dual point , those two special Carter wcfbs and
top it off with a Puroilater paper element air filter in a huge 17" diameter
air cleaner assembly and your loaded for bear! I had the  good fortune of
recently talking with an old Carl Kiekhaeffer dyno mechanic and he told me
that the during tests the Dash One Dodge engines produced more HP per cu. in.
than the Chyrsler 300s! This was over 1 hp per cu. in.  Now connect that to a
special (the word special is very prevelent in this description) 11 in Borg
and Beck clutch assembly. Then bolt on a special hardend  Dodge "export taxi"
manual transmisson , followed by a special 4" diameter HD drive shaft. This
bone is connected to the 8 3/4" rear end ( 8 1/4" was standard on the D500
and regular Dodges)  its made of extra high quality steel and the axel shafts
within are extra large in diameter to prevent any unpleasent occurences.
Connect this to the frame with a stiff six leaf spring setup thats steadied
with Oroflo cop shocks.  Of course all this then obligates the use of the
massive 2.5" x 12"  Imperial brake system (manual only please) and use two
leading shoes. Which turning our our attention to the front end is going to
require a special HD spindle. Then a special quick ratio (manual
only......you get the picture) steering gear. Oh and go ahead and add some
spring rate to those special large diameter front coils, you know for the
dirt tracks.....Don't forget the extra thick anti sway bar. Then last but not
least  how about those 6.5" x 15" extra wide steel rims (or larger if you
wish) from that behemoth Imperial to be attached with the 9/16" studs with
7/8 " lugs in the large 5 on 5.5" pattern.( At this point however we must
settle for the rather weak rubber that was available in 1956). Low and behold
 now were going to run a sub 14 second 1/4 mile at speeds over 100mph, or
finish 123 at Martinsville, or top 130 mph on the sand at Daytona after
winning the standing start mile competition.  YES All this in 1956....... and
yes you may just see me in 1999 blowing the doors of some unsuspecting 60s
(or newer) muscle car  with a "stock" 56 Dodge.  Thats about it. Tim