[FWDLK] Forward Look~Kansas Chapter

need a refresher course.
Being a 1978 Vo Tech Auto body graduate myself, Things have changed
since then.
When I started they taught you to use every grade of sandpaper, And let
me tell you, You get plenty wore out sanding everything with about nine
different grades of paper, We were NOT allowed to use a new  tool called
an "Air Sander",  Hand Sanding was the first thing taught. And one of
the things you couldn't get away from.
Now days it is done allot faster using roughly five grades and quite an
assortment of air tools, From there I went to work in the body shop,
And after about seven years of eating and breathing paint fumes and
bondo dust I got out of it. But I still like to play around with a
torch, We were taught in school how to work lead and to metal finnish
without the use of heat, I don't think they teach LEAD anymore, Bondo or
Alumalead and something called "Tiger Hair" took its place in the body
shop. But it hasn't changed, The last thing you do to a car before paint
is wet sand. And let me tell you, For those that have never wet sanded
before! Put your hands in chilly water for about two hours till your
finger prints are about a quarter inch deep, Then tap them on a brick
for another two hours and you will feel what it is like!
Your hands and fingers will cramp up and be so raw and tender from
sanding, you will never want to see another piece of sandpaper in your
life! I Guarantee!!!!! Well maybe a little exaggeration thrown in, But
true!
Anyway Im going to take a refresher,  just to learn all the up to date
stuff, Gives me an excuse to buy new tools!!!!!
Good Luck to those of you that do, Its a good learning experience, It
also will help in the long run when you have a fender bender and yell
about the bill! ( learning crash estimating is a very helpful thing to
know )
Mark & Don
Forward Look~Kansas Chapter

"Tiger Hair"  A combination of bondo and fiberglass.....