Re: [FWDLK] Happy Holiday and air lines

Nick,
        I personally wouldn't use anything other that iron pipe for my air lines.

        While CPVC may have working pressures that are within and/or well above the
90-110 PSI range, it is generally not recommended for compressed air or gas
systems.  In addition, most PSI ratings are at 73 degrees F, and if your barn
is anything like mine, it gets alot hotter than that in the summer.  The
pressure ratings for CPVC should be derated 23% @ 100F, and 50% @ 140 F.

        I'd recommend you stick with standard black or galvanized pipe and fittings.
Depending on how you design your system, where your compressor is mounted,
etc., you could run your header down the center of the building, using
standard pre-threaded pieces from the local Home Depot or Builder's Square.
Make each connection using a cross fitting, plugging unused ports with pipe
plugs.  This allows easy connections as you add equipment to your shop, or
just want another drop for a bench or other outlet.  If you're going to be
using hi-flow type tools, or running more than one tool at a time, you may
want to go with a 1" header, but 3/4" will probably be sufficient.  Be sure to
use a good sealer at all joints; my favorite is Rector-Seal.

        If you allow some "fall", e.g. one end of the header is higher than the
other, it will be easier to keep condensation standing in the lines to a
minimum.  Again, depending on your usage, you can use any number of different
devices for condensation collection.  I've found that installation of
inexpensive electric timed-condensate drain valves makes maintenance easy.
The valves are wired up so that they are only powered when the compressor is
on.  I set them to blow off about every 20 minutes, and route the exhaust out
through the side of the building.  Be sure to protect the discharge so that
kids or animals aren't injured.  If nothing else, install a couple of ball
valves on the ends of the system to drain accumulated condensate.  Ball valves
at all drop points, and a main shut off will make it easy to isolate drops or
the distribution system if required... ever accidentally cut an air line or
break a fitting?  Those flailing hoses can be wicked!

        This is probably alot more information than you wanted!!  If you have any
specific questions, please let me know!

Steve