Re: [FWDLK] 58 Plymouth electrics and other stuff.....

Hillprint Studio wrote:

> First is - are the '58s 12V negative earth? If not, then how easy are they
> to convert? Also, how much work is it to fit them with an alternator
> instead of a generator?

Yes, 12 volt, negative earth, or "ground" as we call it here in the States.
It's easy to do the alternator swap, but the generators are pretty reliable.
I've never heard of anyone with a  problem with one..  I'd leave it unless you
had problems you just couldn't solve.  Anybody out there ever have any problems
with their generators?

> Second - which cars were fitted with a similar interior to the Plymouth? My
> seats etc. are totally shot from years in the sun, and I think that I'll
> struggle to get another set specific to the car - not bothered about
> patterns etc because they'll probably have to be recovered.

Dodge for sure.  Maybe Chrysler and DeSoto as well. (The frames at least)  The
patterns are different, yes, but there are places where you can still get NOS
seat covers and also NOS and reproduction fabric if you need it.  Just let us
know when you get that far.  But before you go to that extent of originality,
remember that the original fabrics totally SUCKED!  They split -really-
easily.  I've never seen one in a yard that didn't have like 1 or 2 aftermarket
covers over the original fabric.  It may be better to go with a
similar-looking, but more durable fabric.

-Dave