Re: [FWDLK] SQUISHY BRAKES OPN '59 BELLE'

Richard Allen wrote:

> Hey fellas, I got a sorta question.( But first off I hope your all watchin
> that TEMPTATIONS mini series. Alot of nice cars in that movie, including a '58
> Belle' 2 door hardtop)

Yes -- I saw that one too.  A real beauty, eh?  ;-)

I've got some pictures of it up at:

> OK so heres the question. Im buying this '59 Belvedere 4 door Sedan. She's in
> sweet condition in most everyway.............but.............. the brakes are
> real squishy feeling. It takes a couple of pumps to get her to start working
> correctly. As far as I can tell most all of the parts of the braking system
> have been replaced in the last ten years with the front drums having been done

I've had the same problem with mine.  Do a brake adjustment as outlined in the
service manual.  The "double-pumping" occurs because the brakes are too far out
 of
adjustment.  The first pump move the shoes closer to the drum, while the second
one actually makes them contact the drum.  The adjustment should fix it.

-Dave