Re: [FWDLK] Resistors

Mike,

I have always understood the function of the Ballast Resistor to be a little
different. Its primary purpose is to protect the ignition coil. The
?percentage? of time the points are closed is the dwell, which is expressed
as an angle segment of one revolution of the distributor. Typically 30
degrees in a V8. The dwell and this ?percentage? are a constant, regardless
of engine rpm. As the coil is charged and reaches saturation, the magnetic
field creates a ?resistance? to the current flow. This happens fast enough
that at low rpm the coil is saturated in a fraction of the time the points
are closed, effectively closing off the current to a trickle for the
remainder of the dwell. It takes a certain amount of energy to charge a coil
for each spark. As the rpm increases, the number of sparks increase and thus
the energy flow through the Ballast Resistor and the coil increases. Both
parts then start to get hotter from the current flow. The Ballast Resistor
increases its resistance and slows down the current flow to protect the coil
from overheating and burning out. The limit to this system with factory
parts is around 5000 rpm. Then the restricted current flow and the amount of
time available to fully charge the coil becomes less than the energy
required for a healthy spark. With dual points, the dwell is increased to 36
to 38 degrees, allowing about 20 percent more time to charge the coil,
effectively raising the rpm limit. At start up when the Ballast Resistor is
cold, it allows for maximum current flow and maximum spark. Some cars bypass
the Ballast Resistor in Start mode for even greater voltage.

Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500