Re: [FWDLK] Billings Auction - "The Rough and Rare"

Re: [FWDLK] Billings Auction - "The Rough and Rare"

All the cars sold. A no-reserve auction means *everything* sells, even if
only for fifty bucks. I didn't write down the prices on the Furys, but they
were in similar (rough) condition to all the rest in the field. My
recollection is that they averaged around $1000 apiece. A lot of work ahead
in every case. Sometimes there'd be, say three Furys for a given year lined
up next to each other. The auctioneer would point out that if you bought all
three, you could use the parts off the sedan or really rough one to help
restore the "good" hardtop that was worth working on.

Sometimes it worked out this way with the same bidder winning all three in a
row. And clearly this is why Mr. Wilkens bought the others in the first
place. He was thinking ahead when he hauled in the other hulks. But there is
no way he could have gotten them all done in his lifetime, so the sale was a
success for the hobby in that there is now a greater likelihood that more
cars will wind up with a new lease on life, instead of slowly deteriorating
in the Montana snow and sun. In fact, he told me this was his reason for
selling them at this auction.

Someone asked about rust. The comments I heard among the crowd were that the
rust situation wasn't as bad as cars from back east (where the roads are
salted in winter), but not as good as Arizona cars. I think this
characterization was accurate. Chrome was generally not pitted. Chrome and
stainless were more often afflicted with dents or other evidence of trauma,
like an accident.

Hope this helps answer your questions.
 - Dan