Re: [FWDLK] polishing stainless

Title: polishing stainless
Deane and other FLers -

You're probably right about about the missing step being the application of the Stainless compound.  I seem to use this compound extensively when I polish stainless mouldings (the name of the compound makes sense, right ?) . I also use a 1/3 hp buffer / grinder, which you can pick up at Sam's club or at an off-brand tool place for about $35.  I was warned that the imported tools don't last, but I've had mine for over ten years with no probs.

The wheel/compound combinations that Eastwood recommends for stainless are: sisal/emery, spiral/stainless and white rouge/loose sections. If I have a nasty piece, I'll start with the emory on the sisal wheel, but I find this puts scratches in the metal which are tough to get out.  Most of my stainless is in pretty good shape so I start with the stainless compound on a spiral wheel.  This is called a cutting step because it cuts the haziness from the metal and gives it a pretty good shine.  From there I go to the white rouge on the loose sections wheel.  This is the coloring step and really brings out the luster in the metal.

Two recommendations: buy a buff rake for cleaning the wheels, since the compounds build up inside.  Also, unless you like coughing your brains out, wear a dust mask.  The dry compounds throw off a lot of dust. Not good to breathe.

Ron