Re: [FWDLK] Film stars

I have a good friend in LA who is a car wrangler for the movies. He is a car
collector himself, owning 2 dozen old cars of various makes. He is a member
of several car clubs and has contacts in most of the rest. Typically, he
will call his contacts until he gets enough cars to fill the movies' needs.
The usual fee paid by the movie is $200 per day for an old car and driver.
This is split between the wrangler and the car owner.

Sometimes, when a movie is made on location away from LA, the wranglers or
movie coordinators will contact local clubs in the area the movie is being
shot in. They have done this a couple of times here in Minnesota.

One time, a few years ago, my LA friend invited me to a movie set that he
had 10 cars at. I was visiting LA on a business trip and had that Friday
off. They were shooting a 1959 scene for the Tina Turner movie "What's Love
Got to do With It". We went to the "New York" street back lot at Universal
Studios at 8:00 a.m. to sign in. Then they fed us breakfast. Then we went to
wardrobe for period costumes. Then we waited a couple of hours while the
prop men set up stuff. During this time I went exploring through all the
false front buildings. About noon, they started shooting. I got to drive a
56 Olds convertible for background shots. After a couple of shots, they fed
us steaks for lunch on the lawn in front of the court house from the "Back
to the Future" movies. They must have shot the scene of Tina arriving on the
bus 10 times. After that, I watched the prop guys convert the bus station
into a New York movie theater. We left for a couple of hours for dinner and
returned after dark for a night scene. Then I drove a 55 T-Bird right past
the front of the camera. You can see my silhouette in front of the theater
for about 4 seconds, if you know where to look! We were done at 10 p.m. I
would have done all of this for free just for the fun of it, but they even
paid me $5.00 per hour for 14 hours.

Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500