From: contactparamus@nordstrom.com <contactparamus@nordstrom.com>
To: vanhilla@pacifier.com <vanhilla@pacifier.com>
Date: Wednesday, December 29, 1999 9:39 AM
Subject: RE: Make room for shoes... NOT! [JFU1999122900000268]

    Dear Mr. Van Hoy,
    As per your request we have forwarded your e-mail to our executive offices.

    Ron
    Customer Service
    Contactparamus@nordstrom.com
    http://www.nordstrom.com

    Sender  : vanhilla@pacifier.com
    Tracking Number : JFU1999122900000268345809
    Pool    : Store Paramus-Fur
    Sent to : <Contactparamus@nordstrom.com>
    Date    : 12/29/99 7:54 AM
      _____

    It escapes me how you think that your ad, objectifying a woman "shoe lover" as a mindless bimbo who would destroy a valuable classic car, is going to sell shoes.  It is not only an insult to men and women classic car lovers, but a put-down of women in general.

    You just don't get it.  Your ad is not, as you put it in your canned replies to other complaints, either "humorous," "lighthearted," or "comic."  You came closer to the mark with "irrational" and "outrageous."

    Everyone to whom I have spoken who has seen the ad destroying a 1957 Cadillac, whether they are car lovers or not, has been outraged and has vowed to boycott your store.

    I suggest that you take these concerns to the Nordstrom family.  They built the company on a solid reputation of hard work and integrity.  Irrational destruction of valuable items does not sell shoes, it breeds resentment.

    --Roger van Hoy, Washougal, WA