From:   Tom Wright [SMTP:TWright669@xxxxxxx]
Sent:   Tuesday, September 28, 1999 10:14 AM
To:     L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:        [FWDLK] crazy idea (engine rebuilding)

Hi,
Does anyone know how similar Dodge and Desoto Hemi's are?   They seem to
share similar strokes and bores (in different combos) and I understand that
many gaskets (including head) are the same.
The reason I ask is: I am going to be doing a rebuild of my '57 d500 engine
in the not too distant future.  My Dodge is very original and I want to
maintain it's appearance on the outside, BUT I plan on improving it as much
as possible internally.
I noticed that if I bore my motor .030 over (very reasonable) I will have
the
same bore and stroke as a '56 Desoto 330ci hemi.
That (Desoto) motor has 1.94 inch intake valves and 1.75 exhaust versus the
Dodges' 1.84 and 1.53, respectively (which is really very small and must be
very limiting on power.)
My plan would be to buy 440 valves (which are supposed to be coerrect other
than head size) and cut down the heads to 1.94 and 1.75 and then enlarge the
seats.
Does anybody have any knowledge as to whether using the Desoto size valves
would work, or is this something I'll have to discover for myself after I
pull my motor apart and examine the clearances?
Or am I just being stupid?
Tom