[FWDLK] Disk Brake Update/ Ply-Do - Fatman

[FWDLK] Disk Brake Update/ Ply-Do - Fatman

UPDATE:
The most promising conversion that I have seen so far is covered in article
in the September 1999 issue of Street Rodder magazine. They install a 2"
spindle lowering kit made by Fatman Fabrications (704-545-0369) and a Disk
Brake Conversion Kit made by Ply-DO (304-475-3245).  Both companies sell
this as up to 1954, Hence all of my questions on the difference between 54
& 55.
The disk brake kit uses a custom made caliper bracket that bolts to the
spindle and replaces the existing backing plate. It uses GM calipers and 11"
MOPAR rotors with a custom adapter to use the newer rotors on the existing
spindles. I called Ply-Do and the say the kit has been used on a 54. I was
quoted $199 without the rotors or calipers, a complete kit is available for
both 10" and 11" drums.
The article uses a '48 which has the lower shock mount on the spindle
upright this may be the only difference between the 54 and 55 but I have not
been able to confirm this.
Nick, in your interchange manual can you tell if there is a difference in
the other front end parts (kingpin, bushings, seals etc) if they are the
same thises kits may work on the 55 - 56.

The next step for me is to actually order the kit and see if it bolts up
---------- but my Plymouth won't be rolling for a while and I wont be able
to road test it so I am inclined to wait.

Any 55-56 owners that have been considering Disk Brakes may want to give
Ply-Do a call to express their interest. If anyone verifies that the kit
will work on a 55 please so I can place my order. If anyone wants a copy of
the article let me knoe I just got a neww scanner and am looking to try it
out.
Scott