[FWDLK] Smoke and starting?

Sorry never had that problem with my 56 277 V8.
I always remove the lead to coil (not just high tension coil cable) and crank
til I get
oil pressure.  Then reconnect coil lead and crank.  Usually takes some pumping
since gas leaves the carb over winter.
I never pour anything into the carb!!!!!! Unless U think something is really
screwed up I'd gently drive it around town to get all the fluids circulated
and seals reconditioned.
If its been overhauled its overhauled.
IMHO a bit of smoke should not be a probelm???
Lars