[FWDLK] Tech Tip

Hi Guys!

        Just wanted to share a tip with you guys.  Recently my 61 Plymouth has
been running poorly.  It would idle smooth for a while, but when warm it would
intermittantly shake and shudder and sometimes stall out.  Sometimes it would
smooth out and run ok for a little while, but more often it would get worse.
My mechanic and i checked everything,  wires, plugs, points, rotor, cap, fuel
filter,  rebuilt the carb,(again).  adjusted linkage, drained the fuel tank,
replaced fuel lines, darn near did everything twice.  Drove us crazy!!!   was
just about ready to swap carbs from a know good car, to see if it would solve
the problem.

        Fortunately i bumped into a friend who once had a 63 Fury and he
noticed how bad it was running.  He told me the same story!   but his mechanic
traced the problem down to a bad ignition coil resistor!   Said it was
intermiitant!!    Hmmm.... I think we all know that these "Ballast resistors"
can fail at the wink of an eye, most of us carry one in our glovebox!!   Well,
it was a longshot and only a $4.00 investment at the local NAPA parts store,
and son of a gun it worked!!!   The old one was the original and it looked
pretty bad at that.   I had never heard of one doing that but it did!!    Go
figure!!    I just wanted to pass that tip along to you guys!   Hopefully no
one else is going through the same grief that i did!!!

            This Discussion group works well!!!!   Thanks Dave!

Dave Smith
1961 Plymouth Sport Suburban, aka: Fury wagon.