Re: [FWDLK] Sonoramic

-----Original Message-----

>Anyone got information on the 1961 Plymouth with the Sonoramic
>engine?  I saw it in an article in an old Motor Trend from 61 I have.
>I think it was a 383.  Production, how many years made, and how rare
>today???

I'll take a stab at part of this.  I'm certainly no expert, so if anyone has
corrections or more info, please let us know.

The Sonoramic was the Plymouth name for the two piece cross-ram induction
manifold system.  The Dodge version was named Ram Induction, I believe.  It
was also available on the Chrysler and Desoto.  Below is a chart that lists
availability, engine size, HP and torque figures of the various
combinations.  This is from the May, 1991 issue of "High Performance Mopar"
magazine.

Year/ Model            engine size/type             HP                Torque
'60-'61Chry 300            413/long ram        375@5000        495@2800
                                  413/short ram       400@5200
465@3600
'60 Plymouth-Dodge     361/long ram        310@4800        435@2800
                                  383/long ram        330@4800
460@2800
'60 Desoto                   383/long ram        330@4800        460@2800
'61 Plymouth-Dodge     383/long ram        330@4800        460@2800
                                  383/short ram       340@5000
440@2800
                                  413/short ram       375@5000
465@2800
'62 Chrysler 300           413/short ram       405@5400        473@3600
'63-'64 Chrysler 300     413/short ram       390@4800        485@3600

The long ram/ short ram versions look the same from the outside.  This
designation refers to the length of the siamesed internal runner.  On the
long rams, it measures 30 inches from the intake valve to the end of the
dividing runner.  The short ram measures 16 inches.  One can tell the
difference between the two by the casting number also.  Long rams have a
seven digit casting number beginning with "19".  The short ram casting
number begins with "21".  Drag racers have been known to "modify" long rams
to short rams during this era by grinding out a portion of the runners to
raise the HP and torque peaks to a higher RPM.

In 1962, Plymouth and Dodge introduced the one piece short ram manifold on
the Max Wedge 413 engines.  These were continued in '63 and '64 on the 426
Max Wedge engines.

I have no production info on these various combinations.  They are not hard
to come by at swap meets.

Al Wilson
al.wilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
'60 Plymouth Belvedere 318 poly