RE: IML: '72 Headlamp Switch

I will look at it later this week. It is never easy working under the dash on these things. I checked my vacuum check valves on my Auto Temp II as per the manual yesterday and both are useless.So I ordered two vacuum check valves from Mcmaster Carr and will perform necessary plumbing mods when they arrive.My vacuum cans are ok. Vacuum test pump is invaluable tool.I have been using silicone vacuum hose from Hose Techniques in CA and this stuff is excellent.Doesn't seem to age, very pliable and excellent seal.Just had a read on the repair pages regarding speed control and concealed headlights for the 72. All is becoming much clearer now regarding the headlight door operation. I have installed an ex-Saab headlight relay but the doors would not work properly. I knew there was something fishy about that relay and they admit it in this article. The fog is parting momentarily. By the way my headlights are much brighter and on high beam the alternator is working (as per the gauge) much harder than it used to.Which is a good thing. And the headlights do not flicker and cut out anymore. Those repair pages and master tech conferences are a gold mine. This is probably one of the best sites around for supporting a vehicle.

Robin Giesbrecht

From: "Eric" <gearhead@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: IML: '72 Headlamp Switch
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 14:16:57 -0800

Robin, Check the FSM on the '72 or '73 Imperial page for the instructions to reach the headlamp switch. I have a '72 Newport, virtually the same in this specific dashboard area, and the FSM mentions to remove the left HVAC duct and then the left HVAC round air distribution nozzle, in order to access the headlamp switch area. From what I remember of it, its all a very tight fit. Allow some time and protect the youngster's ears from the ensuing verbal comments.

Eric
'63 Crown Four-Door
'63 Belvedere Four-Door sedan
'72 Newport Custom sedan
I purchased an nos headlight switch for my 72 Imperial which was received
minus the "rod" that the knob attaches to. The switch is useless without
this "rod" which controls the switch. Is this normal? Is the "rod" easily
transferred from switch to switch? Also can a person access this switch
without pulling the instrument panel out which is a pain?

OK, I saw that button and was wondering if that was the case.

Robin Giesbrecht