From: triggermortis <alan__harper@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: IML: Canuckistan and Scarberia
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 01:43:53 -0500

Yesterday, still technically Spring, in Kingston, Ontario, the temperature was -27 C. I think that is -17 F.

The snow, in that temperature, is not wet. It is dry and you can brush it off the windows pretty easy. It doesn't stick, like when it is near freezing. It is pretty mushy then (just below the freezing point) and sticks together. Starting the car is another story. I guess the oil is like mud. I don't know how much expansion, or rather contraction, of the motor parts, causes them to bind. The battery doesn't produce as much energy, and of course, you need plenty of energy to turn over that 440 engine, at low temperature and thick oil. I didn't even try to start either of my NYBs. One has a cover on it now.

I did drive the 76 NYB, last weekend for several hours. It was cold then, too, but not -27. I think it was about -15 C. It started up pretty easy, though. I don't have a block heater.

My CD player didn't want to play. I got an error message on the face plate, so I tried to use the radio. The radio turned on, but the aerial wouldn't budge. I could hear the motor clicking, but no movement. I did pay attention to a couple of posters recently about lubricating it. Sounds like I should use a dry lube, silicon or teflon, maybe graphite. After the car warmed up a bit, the CD player started working, though. I hate driving around with no music or radio.

My girlfriend calls the NYB my Yakuza car. In Japan, big, luxury American cars are not popular with most people. They are very popular with the Yakuza, the Japanese mafia, so they have a stigma of being associated with crime figures. But she is pretty comfortable in it. I like all the room I can get, being a big guy. She doesn't need all that room, so if we are sharing the cost of gas for a long trip, she would much rather take my T-Bird, which uses about 45% of the gas that the big 440 uses. There is a considerable difference in gas expense for a trip.

The temperature today shot up to -3 C. Wow, I am going to put on my shorts.

Canuckistan??? Well, I used to live in Scarboro (part of Toronto) and we called it Scarberia.

Alan Harper
1964 Mercury 3/4 ton flatbed
1969 Dodge D100 pickup
1976 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham
1978 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham St. Regis
1992 Ford T-Bird
2001 Harley Davidson FXDX Dyna Super Glide Convertible
alan__harper@xxxxxxxxx
preservationist of our chrome heritage
SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

=============

John
----- Original Message ----- From: "Brad Hogg" <roadhogg@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2004 9:38 AM
Subject: Re: IML: scams, how to stop

"Canuckistan" is a term that was coined, after 9-11-01, by Pat Buchanan (a
member of the American liberal media) to describe Canada, in a derogatory
fashion, insinuating that Canada is a safe haven for terrorists. I can only
assume that Mr. Buchanan is also insinuating that any country who's name
ends in "istan" is also likely to be a safe haven for terrorists. One can
draw their own conclusions from this type of logic.