IML: EL Buzz

Brandt,
You could isolate a known good EL fixture, like the fixture for the headlamp or wiper switch, and hook up the feed from the EL powerpack directly to ensure that the powerpack was still working. If it hasn't been rebuilt in the past decade or two, it could be that it fizzled on you for the last time and needs the new capacitor and transistor.

On the other hand, as Paul was mentioning, when the needles move, they could have shorted to ground causing the whole works to go dark if new litz wire was used.

Where did you find litz wire?

Eric
'63 Crown Four-Door
'63 Belvedere four-door sedan
'72 Newport Custom sedan

I did some EL dash lighting work this weekend....I think it was kinda like I took one step forward and two steps back. I tried to solder the hair-like litz wire back onto the gauge needles. They lit up fine and then suddenly the whole EL lighting shut off while I was driving at night. I can tell when theres power to them when the car is off because I hear a faint buzzing sound. but now I dont get that buzzing sound at all and no EL light show.