Re: IML: Price guides

      I've checked out the Auto priceguides for two popular cars the 1959 Cadillac and the 1957 Chevy. The most valuable version of the 1957 Chevy model lists for $70,000 in show condition and the 1959 Cadillac books at $50,000 for their most collectible version in show condition. But both models have consistantly brought over $100,000 through auction houses around the country.

  That's interesting because I haven't heard of a 59' Cadillac going for that much money in over ten years, Barrett-Jackson included, since the Japanese dropped out of the market. I saw a 59' Cadillac ragtop (Don't remember the model) in the B-J auction about eight months ago sell around the $42,000 mark and it was a nicely restored car. As for Chebbies they don't really interest me but at least in the ad books I rarely see one for over $40,000 unless its some sort of hot rod, probably a factory Hilborn fuel injected one would be the most rare and valuable.
 On the other hand I saw some money bags pay over $100,000 grand for a 69' Camaro in the B-J auction simply because the paint colour matched his suit, it was yellow BTW. In the same auction I saw a 64' Impala vert go for $60,000 but a Jaguar XK180 go for $33,000, both were in about the same condition but how many more 64' Impala's have you seen?
  Getting back to Imperials this one of the many reasons that I like them, they are a good value for the money as indeed any large Chrysler product, or orphan car is. Like it or not old cars are a hobby not an investment; most of us will never get back monetarely what we put into our cars, especially in labor. One has to take value into account to some extent, like avoiding propective Envoy Epics or certain Skodas for restoration, that were garbage the day they came off the assembly line. However when every car show has a row of tri-five Chebbies, Vettes, or Camaro clones, there is a certain satisfaction in having the crowd flock to the only car of it's kind there.
Best Regards
Arran Foster
1954 Imperial Newport
Needing A Left Side Tailight Bezel and other trim parts
1975 Chrysler Newport
Needs a wee bit of body work.

Greg and Russell <65luxuryliner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Has anyone heard of a price guide for vintage and collectible cars by the name of CPI or Cars of Particular Interest

I thought most cars values were taken from auction lists in Old Cars Weekly or the OCPG, Old Cars Price Guide.

The values in CPI are considerably lower than those in OCPG.

If you were going to sell one of your cars, which guide would you use?  I am NOT selling any of my cars, but am just curious as there is a guy on another list I belong to that is touting the CPI as the only price guide anyone should use and the values are more realistic.  I recall them being very unrealistic and LOW when I looked at one.

Any thoughts?

Greg