IML: '66 Imperial interior lights issues

IML: '66 Imperial interior lights issues

What I thought would be a simple fix, i.e. new light bulbs, turned out to
be more complicated.  The lights in the rear door handles don't come on.
They should when the rear doors are opened (perhaps front doors, too
-manual isn't clear on that), when the headlight knob is turned
counterclockwise, and when the switch over the right rear door is turned
on.  None of these turn on the door lights.  The lights in the c-pillars do
come on as they should.  When I replaced the bulb in the left rear door,
something started clicking under the left side of the dash.  If the front
door is also open, the front door lights go off, and only briefly blink in
conjunction with the click.  If the front door is closed, when I put the
rear bulb in, the front door lights dimly light, but flash off in
conjunction with the clicks.  The rear door lights still didn't light up.
It should also be noted that the power lock switches on the front doors
will unlock the rear doors, but won't lock them.  I didn't think the lights
and the locks problems would be related, but now I'm not so sure.

The car is going to the mechanic on Monday for some other items, and I'd
like to give him some direction before he dives into these electrical
issues.  Any suggestions?

Neal Herman
1959 Imperial Crown 4-door Southampton
1966 Imperial Crown 4-door