IML: 62 brakes, discs and heater vacuum controls

IML: 62 brakes, discs and heater vacuum controls

Brakes on a 62 arent difficult. Period. There are no self adjusters, contrary to another post today, unless someone has gone to the trouble of changing the brake backing plates, shoes, wheel cylinders and hardware to 63 and later. All you need to do is adjust them per the FSM, bleed them if in doubt about having air in them, and thats about it. I do in fact use DOT 5 silicone fluid, but the braking quality I feel from the seat isnt any different. Use DOT 3 or DOT 5 as you see fit.

The only disc conversion I have ever heard of that actually worked on a 62 was from AAJ in the Portland area, it was year or two I inquired on them and you had to use some spacers on the front spindles to use GM rotors I believe and they had a custom caliper mount that bolted on and used a GM caliper. The unseen problem there is now you have different wheels front and rear so you have to carry two spares. I wont go into that any further, but that system was available at one time, dont know if it still is.

As far as a heater vacuum control for an AC car, the basic form and function of those switches were the same for quite a few years. I was able to take one from a later mopar AC car and use it, since the basic routing of the vacuum switch ports and the fan motor switching was the same. The exact ones can be hard to find, if you get a mopar part number follow it thru and see what the dealer parts guys say it supersedes to . or just physically match one up with a different one.

Mikey
62 Crown Coupe