IML: Re:Thoughts on the parts availability situation

IML: Re:Thoughts on the parts availability situation

Today there was a post regarding the availability of parts for our Imperials in the aftermarket. For the most part, that post is a very good barometer of the situation we are living in. From the perspective of having worked in the parts business and the auto repair business, they dont want to have to invest precious cash flow , shelf space, time and training in anything but the top 10 or 20 percent fastest moving parts. This is especially true with the Kragens, Schucks, Pep Boys or whatever national or regional chain you are dealing with.

At one such chain store I was verbally reprimanded on one occasion for taking the iniative to stock a part based on the fact that we had lost sales on it because we didnt stock it, my trump card was giving the customer an appreciation card to fill out and send in to our regional bean counter expressing thanks for getting the part for them and how that was going to influence their future shopping with us. The part in question.....a timing belt for a 2.2 liter mopar 4 cylinder, of which tens of thousands were on the road at that time. That part was listed as an A mover in the price sheets but our particular chain had made the decision not to stock it. Such is the corporate mentality.

If you are lucky, you will find a store with some people who are actually interested in cars and have a deeper understanding of the hobby aspect and the way people get attached to their particular make of car, not just some guy whos between burger flippin jobs and only knows what the computer tells them. Find a store that still has paper catalogs in an old fashioned metal rack and people who can read and possibly understand them. I have bought catalogs in the past for as many of the normal wear and tear items as I can find, most of the time youll find something like " Gates Belts and Hoses 1960-1975" or simliar, depending on the year of the catalog. Those books also have interchanges in the back to other brands, which can be invaluable when you are faced with a different brand to work with. Finding the buyers guides in these catalogs is also something to look for, nothing beats a picture to identify what other makes and models share that starter relay or wheel bearing that seems so hard to find.

Find that store and find out if they have ties to rebuilders and other wholesale suppliers further up the food chain, and patronize that store whenever you can. If they see you as a customer who is there for them then the chances are greater they will be there when you need that booster rebuilt or need someone to get on the phone and really dig for a part that you have no idea where to begin even looking for.

I imagine most of this is preaching to the choir, it amazes me to this day how some parts places can make it harder than it has to be to find parts. Consider that the automakers love commonality wherever they can find it, it means fewer different parts to build or have built for them and that means more profit somewhere along the line. Under the skin, they love to have similar cars - platforms to use modern jargon - and more often than not that translates into common parts between them. Sure we know the Budd brakes and headlight switches and driveline supports are out there that defy this, but those things are always going to occur.

If you look diligently, and this may not be as easy as it once was because of the economics of it, you will still be able to find someone to rebuild that alternator , water pump, brake booster when it seems that nobody has it on the shelf. The same with brake shoes, catch them before they go metal to metal with the drum and get them relined. My advice is to find what parts for your car are critical in nature of spares( youll probably be able to find an alternator or water pump for a Chrysler for decades to come for example ) those one or two parts that are year and model specific and get a core and have it rebuilt for that day we all dread. If anything, it will be cheaper to do today than in 5 or 10 years.

Good luck, take care

Mikey
62 Crown Coupe