Sent: Friday, October 29, 2004 4:27 PM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IML: KYB Shocks

Bob,
KYB KG-4507 for the front set. I put KG-5423 on the rear axle for my '72
Newport, which is from KYB Truck & Van division, meaning heavy duty. They
are quite firm in the rear. The C-body Yahoo list has recently had part #
KG-5512 for rear shocks on the 'C-body' cars, and Chris Hawkins is posting
an instructional on KYB shock installation, indicating KG-5511 for the rear
set on a '62 model Imperial. I'll assume the KG-5511 would be best for your
'64.

There is a front shock lower mount modification needed, one needs to
grind/saw a small amount of the mount material as it is slightly too wide to

fit in the lower control arm. There is also a bit of an orchestrated
movement in releasing the holding strap at the top of the front shock, and
simultaneous lifting of the lower control arm to meet the lower mount, I
used a hydraulic floor jack in this procedure. I had the lower ball joint
separated from the steering knuckle and to my memory, this was the only way
I could fit the shock into the shock tower due to interference w/the lower
control arm while it was still attached to the knuckle. The couple of
complications were worth the effort for the added control given, losing the
boat-float feel.

Eric
Portland, Oregon