Re: IML: Front End Suspension 1963 Le Baron

Re: IML: Front End Suspension 1963 Le Baron

>Subject: IML: Front End Suspension 1963 Le Baron
>IML...Can anyone give me a quick lesson on front end suspension for a =
>1963 Le Baron...What would I do if I wanted to make the handling better? =
>Replace upper control arm bushings? new torsion bar? if replacement of =
>parts is necessary where should I look for the new parts?

   In addition to all the things everybody else has said (KYBs [my 62 & 63
had them, and my 69 does now - they're fantastic] , bushings, fix anything
worn) I'd suggest you check your leaf springs and replace them if they're
sagging (or just tired). This'll likely allow you to get your torsion bars
'turned up' giving more clearance / travel and a bit more 'springiness' ( I
think - not sure about the springiness, but it seemed that way with my
earlier cars. haven't replaced the leaves on my '69 yet) .
  I'm a fan of radials too. I'd want to go a bit wider than 235 on a 70
series if possible though - less speedo error that way. I had 255 / 70 -15s
on my '62; they had great roadholding, but at idle and immobile the steering
pump was a bit overworked pushing that big contact patch. The wheels would
turn, but it wasn't that Imperial one finger dialing operation we all know &
love.

    -Kle.