Re: IML: Rear Deck Panel Rust

On the several 1964-66 Impeirals I've owned, to
prevent water from getting trapped under this panel I
tape off the edges between the side of the back panel
and the body or the car.  Then I inject as much black
silicone rubber as I can get into that seam.  I smooth
out the rubber into a clean line, and when the tape
was peeled back it leaves a perfectly smooth, thin
line of black down in the crease that looks like a
factory gasket. Do a similar seal beneath the back
window and it will ensure that no water gets
underneath that panel to cause future rust.

When I painted one of my cars, I removed the panel
put a heavy coat of POR15 rustproofing on the back of
the panel and also onto the section of body covered by
the panel.

These measures should prevent rust pretty effectively.

Chris H.

66 LeBaron