IML: Unsatisfacory free Imperial

Hi everyone. Long time no see and all that. My poor old 1958 is still in pieces. Its engine has been rebuilt, along with the transmission, but both sit, shrink wrapped yet, on a pallet, waiting to be reinstalled. The trucking company that volunteered to get the work done for the transportation museum I work for bought 36 eighteen wheeler tractor rigs and decided that refitting them was of greater importance than "my" Imperial. The philistines!

I have been so busy and am so broke I don't have enough time to pay attention, so I can ride out a year - almost - without an Imperial. I think.

I went to see to cars today that were being offered to the museum as a gift for tax write off purposes. One was a 1958 Packard. The other was a 1967 Imperial four door hardtop. Did you notice I used the past tense? Both were ruined beyond any hope of reasonable restoration. I had to decline the offer. How bad is that when an avowed 1958 Imperial fan turns down a free Imperial a free 1958 Packard?

Pretty bad, and it gets worse. He also had a 1967 Imperial with the mobile director interior. It was in worse shape than the four door hardtop. Then he says he has recently put a couple of cars, including a 1964 Imperial, "over the scale." In other words he sold them for scrap. And so it goes.

He is not interested in selling the cars, only in using them for a tax write-off to off set some capital gains. Its isn't my job to abuse people - feel free to laugh (or cry) - so what I said was he really should check with his accountant that it wasn't going to be a problem that he was going to use high values as a donation and that we would not as recipients. He asked me how much we would write down. I said maybe $100.00 a piece, tops.

The 67 Imperial was not that bad. Body pretty straight and paint serviceable. It looked white to me but he called it midnight blue. The black vinyl roof was OK. The interior was shot. It rained last night and it smelled pretty rank. Two guys were working under the hood. I asked if they were getting it going but it turned out they were just reinstalling stuff. Stuff like the heads. Rusty cylinder walls, anyone?

The museum has been trying to unload some cars recently. Cars that were taken in a long time ago under different leadership, to give juicy tax right offs to some wealthy city residents. The game just isn't worth the candle. What happened is that our museum ended up looking like this guys quite large yard. Dozens of cars in various states of decay being mercilessly attacked by the Texan sun. Very attractive.

This guy had bought all these cars at rock bottom prices with a view to restoring them sooner or later. It's a shame, really, this ignorant collecting that keeps good cars away from caring individuals. The 1967 was probably a very nice car when this guy acquired it.

I am not slamming people who have large collections and take care of them. Make no mistake, the man I was talking with today is a wealthy guy. Very. And he isn't interested in selling them. I know someone who would like to get the 58 Packard but it will probably end up in the crusher, sooner or later. I just cannot afford the time and energy required to get them, store them, sell them and ship them. Not for just a couple hundred dollars. It also isn't my job to create a tax dodge for the guy who has neglected all these cars for so long. Who knows why he bought them in the first place? Who knows why so many? I'm having a hard enough time already with the 1973 Imperial, finding someone who wants to work on it since no one wants to buy it. (It doesn't run, has been out in the sun for five years, looks bad and will cost over a grand to ship - but it is cheap!)

The 73 Imperial was taken in as a donor's tax write off as well. One of the last we took for that reason. We are more discriminating now. We have to be. Sometimes, even when it's free, it's still too expensive.

Hugh