Hoffman
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2004 6:38 PM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IML: Imperial on the street

Larry,

Chances are it did have its headlamp doors, but they were open. On two of
the three years of production (I think '82 and '83, or was it all three
years, '80s experts?), the inside faces of the doors have full chrome trim
panels, so that when they are open they form the appearance of a complete
frame, or bezel, for the headlamps.

To help clarify this, understand that the headlamp doors open down and
retract inward, resting face-down beneath the pairs of rectangular headlamps
(lower eyelids, if you will). So what looks like the bottom of the headlamp
bezel is actually the back of the headlamp door. It was a very nice bit of
attention to detail, as very few cars ever made with hidden headlamps look
finished with the lamps exposed. I guess most carmakers assumed they'd only
be opened at night (hello? drive in rain much?) and decided not to spend
money where few would ever see it.

--
Chris in LA
67 Crown