Sent: Sunday, September 26, 2004 4:09 PM
Subject: IML: 1961 Power Steering Pump

Hi all:

The after-market air conditioning installed on the Big Red Sled was installed in such close proximity to the power steering pump/reservoir, that the cap to the pump could not be removed and the fluid checked.

Having a 'hard wheel,' I realised the power steering unit may need to be replaced.  I removed the a/c compressor to get to the power steering unit and sure enough, the reservoir was dry.  Since it was a hassle to get to it, I am thinking of replacing the power steering pump (rather than taking a chance by putting it back on the engine) but cannot figure out how to get it out of the reservoir.

I have removed it from the engine and can get a replacement pump but it is sold without the reservoir.  I can't figure out how to separate the pump from the reservoir.  I have looked in the repair section of the site and I have read the entire section on steering in the Factory Service Manual and I am still at a loss.

Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Thanks,
Joe