Re: IML: I need opinions

----- Original Message -----
From: <JosephStil@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, September 24, 2004 5:20 PM
Subject: IML: I need opinions

> Afternoon all:
>
> I recently bought a 1961 4D Crown Southampton.  (you know, there are times
when I think this is like group therapy:  "hi, my name is Joe.  I own an
Imperial."  group response:  "Hi Joe!" heheheh).  Nuthin' like a 12-step
program to get one through the day....

> I have a bunch of work to do to make The Big Red Sled drivable.  This work
includes fuel system repair(rebuild the carburetor, replace the fuel pump,
boil & reseal the gas tank), repair the braking system, repair the power
steering (the aftermarket A/C compressor was mounted over the P/S pump in
such close proximity that the pump reservoir cap cannot be removed so it is
likely dry), and figure out why "R"everse doesn't work.

> Not to mention repairing the seat upholstery and a paint job (solid body,
very small bubble-type rust at the rear quarter panels).

> My brother-in-law is a former body shop guy and he is suggesting that I
just off-frame restore it right now (sort of hard to do with the front end
of a '61 but you get the idea).  Get it started and get it over with (about
2 years).  My goal initially was to get it drivable (SAFELY) and then work
on the pieces of the puzzle that require attention (paint & body, interior
upholstery, etc.).  I sure would love to drive the car sooner rather than
later even if she is rough around the edges (safe to drive however) but I
can also see the value in doing it all at once.

> Let me know your thoughts or opinions on the topic.  I would especially
like to hear from those of you who have gone the off-frame restoration
route.