No Subject

>From: Imperial59crown@xxxxxxx
>Subject: IML: My '59 new engine
<snip>
> He also suggested a fairing around the fan to make it more efficient
>and help with cooling the engine. Is this true, and if so is there any
fairings
>out there that would fit a '59 Imperial?

      I've found fan shrouds are good for 5-20 degrees cooler running. I've
never noticed any problems with a fixed fan / fan shroud combo, but then
most cars I've had temp trouble with have exhibited the problem at low
speeds instead of high speeds.
      Your '59 has a 413, right? I expect your best bet to find a shroud
would be looking around junkyards for 413 / 440 cars; there's probably one
that'll fit.
      You could also look into getting a clutch fan for the car (assuming
it's equipped with a fixed one now), unless you're concerned with keeping
the car perfectly original. They're available in performance catalogs, and
then there'd be no question that the shroud would help. I've also had very
good luck with the addition of an auxiliary electric fan (I'm intending to
install one in my current car, even though there've been no high-temp
problems so far), though I suppose if high-speed temp is the problem, it
might restrict airflow some, too.
      If all else fails, you can probably find somebody who'll build a
bigger (more rows, i.e. thicker) custom radiator or perhaps a
high-efficiency custom radiator for your car. There's a guy out here who'll
do it for a surprisingly decent price, though it's sometimes hard to
convince him it's neccessary. Look around places they build race cars, if
you have to go this route.
     Good news on the rebuild, and good luck!

            -Kle
             '69 Crown Southampton 4Dr