'73 Lebaron travel problems

>From: "Jay King" <j_king@xxxxxxxxx>

<snip>

>We had some difficulty with overheating after about two hours on the
interstate, but I expected that. (Has anyone tried >"Water Wetter" or
similar products in a 440?)

    Was it overheating at highway speed, and was the AC on or off? I've had
overheating problwms with several big block cars, but usually once I slow
down after prolonged high speed travel. If the AC was off, and you were
moving at a decent clip, I expect you have mineral buildup in your radiator
and will need a new one in the near future.
     The first thing I'd do to combat overheating is get the engine steam
cleaned (unless it's already clean). I know this sounds kind of silly, but
built up engine 'crud' can be a powerful insulator - my last car; a '77 LTD
Police Interceptor with a 460 always had temp problems, and when I had the
engine cleaned it was good for 15-20 degrees cooler running.
    I've also had good luck with having auxiliary electric cooling fans
installed - they especially help at loe speeds and stop / go traffic. It's
an easy modification that doesn't have to be permanent, the car can be
returned to 'original' condition easily enough.

>After negotiating the interstate bypass through Huntsville, Silent Bob died
in traffic, exhibiting symptoms of vapor
>lock, fuel pump failure, or out-of-gas. The gas gauge is inop so I carry a
2.5 gallon gas can in the trunk. Two
>gallons in the tank and a splash into the Edelbrock eliminated diagnoses
(1) and (3), and being in a strange
>city on a Saturday, I called Kerry. He showed up in about 30 minutes with
tools and a fuel pump from
>O'Reilley's and quickly changed out the pump with some help from Jamie.

    If you're having consistant vapor lock problems, conversion to an
electric fuel pump with a constant-pressure regulator takes care of that
pretty well. As above, it's an easy modification that doesn't have to change
anything permanently and is relatively easy to undo.
     -Kle.